The world of work as we know it is changing at an exponential rate. We can no longer look for work or think about work the same way we did 20 years ago. Here are some tips on how to improve your chances and open yourself up to some great opportunities. The world of work in this season is more like contract work and being a solo-entrepreneur. Learn the skills needed to market yourself effectively.
- Take some time to understand how technology is changing the world around us. Get up to speed with technology tools that will help you to brand yourself and be seen by more people.
- Be clear about your skills, talents and what it is that you want to do in this next season. Work with a career coach to help guide you to fine tune your strategy.
- Build a profile rather than a CV. A profile includes more about who you are as well as what you can do.
- Take a clear set of profile pictures that you can use.
- The formal world of work is not that kind to those of us over 50. Be sure you know what you are looking for. Are you looking for a job or are you wanting to be an entrepreneur?
- Your profile should include an overview of your history in a way that future users of your skills will immediately understand your worth in their industry.
- If you don’t market yourself clearly, you will drown in the ocean of candidates all looking for the same opportunities. Find a way to stand out in the crowd.
- Build a great social media profile for yourself on LinkedIn and engage with your network through sharing by writing content in your area of expertise.
- Build a Facebook page or a Website to add value to your work and increase your visibility.
- Network both online and offline and build relationships that matter. Add value to those you know rather than bombarding them with what you do. If they value who you are they will look closer at what you do and find a way to include your value into their lives.
Lynda Smith is a life planning and career coach. More information about her work as well as her details can be found on www.refirementnetwork.com