There is a great author and TED speaker who has helped many people to understand that asking the question WHY is critical to understanding yourself and influencing others. Simon Sinek uses a term called The Golden Circle to help us understand the concept. Simon states that we need to know WHY we are doing something before we decide on the WHAT and the HOW. Most people in life start with the WHAT and HOW and have not defined their WHY.
The world as we know it is changing. With this change we need to often step back and question what we are doing and why? If the world is changing we need to make some changes as the options open to us are changing. Using old methods and ways may be where we are comfortable but may no longer be relevant.
Some of the global trends in the world that we should be aware of are that medical science and technology are causing longevity. We are also operating in a more global world and the playing field has changed. These changes define WHY we should be looking at the future and our plans through a different lens.
The second WHY that you need to consider is your own personal journey. We are all unique and have had different experiences as we have travelled along this path called life. Looking back to an old world, we may have planned to retire like our parents and grandparents. This may no longer be possible. There are many questions to ask yourself to design your own next season.
Here are some of the questions to consider to design your unique path:
- Have you saved enough?
- Do you know how much you need if you are going to live much longer?
- How much is enough?
- How much debt do you have?
- Do you still have people dependent on you?
- Where do you want to live?
- If you are healthy and love what you do what options are open to you?
- Have you counted the days till your formal retirement due to the stress of hating what you do, but not considered yet what you would like to do with your life post retirement?
- Would you like to study again and learn about other subjects that have always interested you?
- What skills, talents and experience do you have?
- What are you passionate about?
- Would you like to travel and work and what are your options?
- Would you like to become an entrepreneur but not sure where to start?
- What will be the reason you get up daily after retirement?
- Are you skilled using technology and active on social media?
- Do you have networks outside of your work?
- Do you have a hobby that you would like to pursue as part of your second career?
- Do you know how to brand yourself in a 21st century world?
- Will your market be local or global?
- Have you had this discussion with your partner?
The list of questions is long. They are however important. Unless you know your WHY it is very difficult to start working on the what and how. It is worth taking the time to work on these questions. Starting a few years before retirement is best. There are plans to be made and some of them take time. However the luxury of time may not be on your side and you are faced with that WHY now. Invest the time in working with a coach or going on a workshop to start the design of your path.
Working longer is the best investment for your future but needs to be clear and defined to your unique set of circumstances. The coach can then help you to unpack the WHAT and HOW for your life.
Ask your WHY questions today.